Skip to main content

Concessionary travel and bus passes

If you are elderly or disabled you may be entitled to discounted travel on buses, trains or coaches.

Updated December 2016

Free bus travel

If you live in England, and are disabled or receiving a state pension, you are entitled to a bus pass giving free off-peak travel on local buses anywhere in England. 

Beyond 2020, the age of eligibility for concessionary travel will continue to increase in line with any future changes to the state pension age. To find out when you reach 'eligible age' go to the State Pension Age Calculator.

Apply for an age-related bus pass

You can apply for an age related free travel bus pass online, download a form or collect a form from any Suffolk County Council office or library. 

Apply for a disabled person's free travel bus pass

You can apply for a disabled persons free travel bus pass online (nb there are some exceptions), download a form or collect a form from any Suffolk County Council office or library. 

You can also find out more about free bus travel in Suffolk by calling the free Travel Bus Pass Information Line on 0345 600 0659. 

Concessionary travel vouchers

You may be entitled to receive concessionary travel vouchers If you are unable to make use of your free bus pass because of disability or where you live. These can be used towards the cost of community transport, taxis or private hire vehicles.

Rail travel

Anyone over 60 can obtain a Senior Railcard and save money on fares.

The Disabled Persons Railcard may help If you have a disability that makes travelling by train difficult. This gives you and a carer travelling with you a discounted fare.

Coach travel

There is no national concessionary scheme, but National Express offer Senior Coachcard and Disabled Coachcard which gives a discount of 1/3 on standard fares for people over 60 or people who are registered as disabled.

Essential services: getting extra help

UKRN have produced a leaflet showing free services that can give you extra help when travelling if you are older, ill or have a disability. 

The information is also available in braille or audio from the UKRN office.

Back to top