Skip to main content

Occupational therapy

What is an occupational therapist?

Occupational Therapists (OTs) provide practical support and problem-solving to help you to overcome any barriers that prevent you from doing everyday activities, enabling you to become more independent. 

Within Adult Social Care, OTs work with people who are having difficulties managing everyday tasks or generally within their home, due to a physical or mental impairment or learning disability, empowering them to achieve their full potential.

You may be eligible for help from Suffolk County Council, but the demand for OT services is high and it might take some time before you are seen. In the first instance you should contact Customer First, by using the webchat button at the bottom right side of your screen.

They will ask you some questions to identify what difficulties you are having. If you are having difficulties managing with everyday tasks they will offer you an OT assessment.

If your case is urgent you will be given priority, but there may be a delay before someone can visit you. If you are waiting for an assessment and your health or living situation changes then you should let Customer First know about this.

The OT or OT Assistant will visit you at home. They will work with you, and your carer, to identify possible solutions and strategies to make everyday tasks easier and achieve your full potential for independence.

This may include different ways of doing things, using equipment, digital care and assistive technology, or looking at a range of options including adaptations, to support you at home.  They may also suggest other professionals, services or organisations which could be of benefit to you.

Updated February 2016

Live Chat Software by Click4Assistance UK
Back to top