Scams are created to trick you into handing over money or personal details. They can be targeted at businesses or individuals. Victims are often left feeling a sense of shame and social isolation, but don't feel embarrassed as it can happen to anyone.
- If it looks too good to be true, it probably is
- Any doubts about a website or a trader, don't share your financial details
- Be careful on Black Friday and Cyber Monday
- ALWAYS read the small print - you may be entering into a contract for monthly payments. Don't set up a Continuous Payment Authority
- Pay by credit card first, then debit card, both offer increased protection. Avoid money transfer!
- Act quickly - If you think you have been a victim of fraud, contact your card/account provider
- Check out online review sites before purchasing
- Subscription & voucher traps - watch out for "free" items
- contact you out of the blue
- ask for personal or financial details
- put you under pressure to respond quickly
- ask you to keep their offer a secret
- make promises that sound too good to be true
- verify their identity
- look out for grammatical or spelling mistakes
- never give out your bank details
- never send money to someone you don’t know
- say no to persuasive sales talk
Please report scams to Trading Standards via Citizens Advice Consumer service on 0808 223 1133 or via their online reporting service. If you have lost money or given a scammer your financial details, contact your bank immediately.
Forward scam text messages to 7726.
Send scam emails to the National Cyber Security Centre at email@example.com
Contact: Trading Standards Reception
0808 223 1133 (all calls are managed by Citizens Advice Consumer Service and then referred to us for criminal investigations)
Page last updated: 24/12/2021
Receive a weekly email from the team with details of the scams and rogues targeting the County: www.suffolk.gov.uk/JoinTheFight
Get a FREE "No cold callers" sticker for your door. Email Trading Standards with your name and address on firstname.lastname@example.org