Parents may be eligible to receive a funded early education place, if they claim any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- The guarantee credit of State Pension Credit
- Universal Credit and net annual earned income does not exceed £15,400 (assessed using up to three of the most recent Universal Credit assessment periods).
- Tax credits and annual earned income does not exceed £16,190 before tax
- Asylum support (provided under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999)
- The Working Tax Credit 4-week run-on (the payment for people who no longer qualify for Working Tax Credit)
The parents do not have to be working.
To check if you are eligible for funded childcare for 2 year olds online at www.suffolk.gov.uk/two
You may also be eligible based on the following (non-economic) criteria if:
- The child has an Education, Health and Care Plan prepared under section 37 of the Children and Families Act 2014
- The child is in receipt of Disability Living Allowance under section 71 of the Social Security and Contributions and Benefits Act 2014
- The child is looked after by a local authority (under section 22(1) of the Children Act 1989) or by a local authority in Wales within the meaning given by section 74(1) of the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014
- The child has been, but is no longer looked after by the local authority as a result of an adoption order, a special guardianship order or a child arrangements order (within the meaning of section 8(1) of the Children Act 1989 or section 74(1) of the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014).
Take proof to your chosen childcare provider if any of the above applies to your child.
Your child can start receiving funding from the term after their second birthday.
Turns 2 years between: Claim Funding from the beginning of the:
1 January - 31 March Summer Term (April)
1 April - 31 August Autumn Term (September)
1 September - 31 December Spring Term (January)
For more information:
Speak to your current childcare provider (day nursery, pre-school playgroup or childminder). They will check if you are eligible.
Or phone the Suffolk Family Information Service
- Helpline 0345 60 800 33
- Text 07624 801060 (If you text we will call you back)
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org