Skip to main content

Funded childcare places for 2 years olds

Parents may be eligible to receive a funded early education place, if they claim any of the following benefits:

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • The guarantee credit of State Pension Credit
  • Universal Credit and net annual earned income does not exceed £15,400 (assessed using up to three of the most recent Universal Credit assessment periods).
  • Tax credits and annual earned income does not exceed £16,190 before tax
  • Asylum support (provided under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999)
  • The Working Tax Credit 4-week run-on (the payment for people who no longer qualify for Working Tax Credit)


The parents do not have to be working.

To check if you are eligible for funded childcare for 2 year olds online at

You may also be eligible based on the following (non-economic) criteria if your child:

  • Has left care through Special Guardianship, or through an Adoption, Residence or Child Arrangements Order
  • Is a child looked after by a local authority, a Child in Care (CiC)
  • Has a current statement of Special Educational Needs (SEN) or Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)
  • Receives Disability Living Allowance. 

Take proof to your chosen childcare provider if any of the above applies to your child.

 Your child can start receiving funding from the term after their second birthday.

Turns 2 years between:                Claim Funding from the beginning of the:

1 January - 31 March                      Summer Term (April)

1 April - 31 August                          Autumn Term (September)

1 September - 31 December          Spring Term (January) 


For more information:

Speak to your current childcare provider (day nursery, pre-school playgroup or childminder). They will check if you are eligible.

Or phone the Suffolk Family Information Service

Back to top