The team of Occupational Therapists employed by Suffolk County Council to work in the Disabled Children & Young People’s Team, covering the county to provide assessments at home for children and young people with disabilities. Assessments are carried out to identify and discuss difficulties within the home environment, and solutions explored to overcome them through advice and information, the provision of equipment and adaptations and liaison with professionals from health and education.
Our aim is to maximise quality of life and increase independence for the child or young person, in addition to enhancing safety by providing specialist equipment and adaptations and supporting parents and carers in their caring roles.
We can offer help in one or more of the following ways:
- Give information and advice - this can include advising on different approaches to everyday activities and guidance around manual handling.
- Recommend the provision of minor adaptations - such as grab rails and half steps - and arrange the loan of a wide range of equipment. We are also able to advise on the purchase of privately purchased equipment not able to be funded through statutory services.
- Make recommendations for major adaptations, such as appropriate bathing facilities, ceiling track hoists and through-floor lifts.
- Provide support to move to more suitable housing.
- Refer or signpost to other relevant organisations and professionals.
How can I request an Occupational Therapist?
Referrals to the Occupational Therapy Service can be made directly to Customer First on 0808 800 4005.