Many people think that falls are a part of ageing - something that ‘just happens’ as you get older. But, while there are many reasons that make falls more likely as you age, there are also many different things you can do to prevent them.
Causes of falls and what you can do to help yourself
There are various forms of gentle exercise which help to improve balance, strength & mobility. Here are some useful links:
- ActivAgeing is a programme to improve the health and wellbeing of people living in and around Ipswich, with a specific focus on activities for older adults. These activities include health walks and chair or standing exercises.
- Otago is a particular form of exercise to help improve balance and reduce falls.
- Positive steps classes in west Suffolk
- Tai Chi classes across the county
- Chair-based exercise activities
You could also search the Directory on this site to find other gentle activities that will help to improve your mobility - anything from carpet bowls to tea dances.
Falls prevention services
If you have had a fall, or are thought to be at risk of falling, you may be referred by a health professional to a falls prevention service
- Suffolk Community Healthcare
- East Coast Community Healthcare CIC
- Ipswich and East Suffolk CCG
- West Suffolk CCG
Updated October 2016