Leave Website Skip to main content

Health | Community Directory


Last updated: 15/03/2021

There are a range of health services available for children and young people aged 0-25 based on an individual’s health need.

In order to access any health service in Suffolk you, or your child/young person will need to be registered with a Suffolk GP. Children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities can access these services directly, these services are known as ‘universal’ in that they are available to everyone.

Find a universal health service

Within the Local Offer, some services will have specific criteria to access it based on the level of health need. Information about criteria is provided on individual service records, If you are unsure about whether your child/young person meets the criteria, contact details are listed on each entry.

Find a specialist health service 

Children building blocks  
0 - 5 years
If you have a question about your
child's health or development you
should speak to their health
visitor, nursery worker, GP or
a professional who works with them. 

   Girl in classroom  
  5 - 11 years
  If you are worried about your
  child's health or development you
  should speak to their teacher, school
  nurse, GP or a professional who
  works with them. 

Boy in classroom
11 - 16 years
If you are worried about your
child's health or development you
should speak to a teacher, school
nurse, GP or another professional
who knows them well.  

  teenager in classroom
  16 - 25 years
  As a young person aged 16-25
  you may be thinking about preparing
  for adulthood, including living
  independently, higher education or
  entering a workplace.

If you would like to give feedback on a health service

If you would like to give feedback, are not happy with the care or treatment you have received or if you have been refused treatment for a condition, you have the right to complain, have your complaint investigated, and to be given a full and prompt reply.

Most issues can be resolved without the need for a formal complaint. Usually an informal chat with your doctor or a member of staff who work for the service provider can sort things out more quickly.

However, if you have tried talking to someone and it still has not solved your problem, or if it does, but you still want to make a formal complaint, you should make a formal complaint to your service provider. If you cannot make a complaint yourself, you can ask someone to do this for you.

Every NHS organisation has a complaints procedure. To find out about it, ask a member of staff, look up their service information in the the Local Offer directory or on their website.

Do you need help to understand the health care system?

The Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS) offers confidential advice, support and information on health-related matters.  They are a point of contact for patients, their families and their carers. 

PALS can help in several ways:

  • Help you with health-related queries
  • Help you sort out any concerns or problems when you are using the NHS
  • Explain to you how to get more involved in your own healthcare
  • Give you information about the NHS, the NHS complaints procedure, how to get independent help if you want to make a complaint and support groups outside the NHS
  • Improve the NHS by listening to your concerns and suggestions

You can find officers from PALS in your local hospital, you can find your nearest PALS office on the NHS Choices website or by phoning NHS 111 or you can ask your GP surgery, or hospital.