The Parish Council plays an important role in undertaking such responsibilities as considering planning applications, running events and dealing with all matters that may impact on the community. Boyton is a village and civil parish in East Suffolk near Woodbridge. Close to Orford Ness, it is part of the beautiful heritage coast with access to the River Alde and the Butley river. Boyton Dock protrudes into the Butley River - a reminder of two short-lived booms in the past, when geology created two brief windfalls -access to a large supply of clay (shipped out and used by Delftware and other companies in the 1600s) and then coprolite which enriched agricultural fertiliser in the 1870s,enabling Fisons to become an established company. The dock was recently featured on an Ed Sheeran video.
Boyton is sited within an area of outstanding natural beauty (AONB). The nearby Boyton Marshes covers an area of 175 acres and is regarded as a fine example of an RSPB reserve. Cited in the Domesday book, the village at one time was self-supporting. There is a fine example of almshouses financed by Mary Warner built in 1736 and further extended in 1835 and 1847. Boyton Wood is part of the Mary Warner Charity's remaining land and has retained its present form for centuries as a remnant of ancient woodland.
There is both a parish church, St Andrews and a Mission hall. The church provides a facility for activities and local groups to meet.
A strong sense of community and impressive efforts to “go green” were reflected in the award of Suffolk Coastal Council of the year in 2011.