Beccles Choral Society
A Registered charity, 1044837, the society aims to advance, improve, develop and maintain public education and interest in choral music, particularly by the study and performance of a wide variety of choral works. There are currently 75 members.
Who to contact
- Additional Website
Where to go
- Beccles Choral Society
Hungate Church, Hungate Lane, NR34 9TN
- NR34 9AD
- View NR34 9AD on a map
- Area served
- Lowestoft, Beccles, Mid Suffolk, Brandon, Leiston, Halesworth, Oulton Broad, Kessingland, Southwold, Bungay
- Parking available
- Parking details
- limited but arrangements can be made for any member with walking difficulties.
- Usual public transport
- Restrictions to access
The rehearsal season runs from early September to late May. Concerts are given in November, early December to celebrate the festive season, with a more formal programme in mid May, in St Michael's Church, Beccles and the John Leman High school This is accompanied by orchestra when funds allow. There are no rehearsals in the school holidays.
Days & Times
- Most Tuesdays, except Tuesdays that fall within the school holidays, 7.30-9.30pm, Sep to mid May. Extra Thursday rehearsals are added in the week before a concert.
- Time of day
- Session Information
Rehearsals held in Hungate Church from 7.30 - 9.30 pm. Members are notified in good time about any changes to the schedule.
On the Sunday Concert days in St Michael's Church, Beccles, rehearsals are held during the early afternoon in preparation for the 2 hour concert start at 4pm.
- Cost Details
- An annual subscription, which covers all rehearsals, venues and music hire, is currently £100 but arrangements are made to pay in 2 instalments or even more at the discretion of the Treasurer.
- Referral required?
- Referral and availability notes
Members are encouraged to attend as many rehearsals as possible to get the full value from membership.
- Age Groups
- Adults, Young people
- Disabled Parking, Wheelchair Access, Adapted Toilet
- Accreditation website
- Accreditation details
- Making Music Organisation
The members, from any of the surrounding areas, (we have 2 members from Norwich), work together with an accompanist who is a highly qualified pianist under the direction of greatly respected and experienced Geoff Lavery, and have a lot of fun as well as giving serious attention to detail. No formal training is necessary and no auditions are held but members should have an ability to sing in tune and give a commitment to the society. These are the only restrictions to membership. Rehearsal venues and Beccles Church can accommodate wheel chairs. An annual membership subscription is paid. AGM: Sept. .
Anyone interested in joining the society or just wanting more information about it should first contact the Secretary by phone or e mail. Sponsorship from local individuals and businesses is also very welcome as our running costs are high when an orchestra is in place for the May concert.
- Service users involved in planning
More like this
Sign in to write a review