Sense is a national charity that supports and campaigns for children and adults who are deafblind. We provide tailored support, advice and information as well as specialist services to all deafblind people, their families, carers and professionals who work with them. In addition, we support people who have a single sensory impairment with additional needs.
We provide a core offer of support to families that includes:
- We will get in touch within two working days from when you first contact Sense.
- You will meet a Sense specialist within eight weeks of first getting in touch with us.
- You will have your own identified worker.
- You will have the opportunity to attend at least one family event per year.
- We will keep in touch through an annual contact.
- You will have access to the information and advice service.
- We will offer you the chance to join Sense through our membership programme.
- We may work alongside your local authority to provide an individual service solution tailored to your needs.
This offer is provided through Sense's work as a charity.
Children's Specialist Services can also offer other support at times of particular need, including:
- Help when your child is first diagnosed - including giving you practical ideas about how to develop your child's skills, and advice on suitable play activities.
- Assessments that look at your child as a whole - focusing on what your child can do and how that can be built upon.
- Extra support at times of crisis - such as when a family is under considerable strain.
- Support with significant periods of change for your child (transitions) - such as starting school and moving into adulthood.
- Resource libraries which lend sensory toys and equipment (nearest resource based in Market Deeping).
Whatever the challenge or need, we aim to support you when it matters most. Sense stays with an individual and their family for every step of the journey from birth to adulthood, and then on to older age.
Additional Family Days are also held at different venues within Suffolk.
Sense also provide a range of training and consultancy services for professionals - http://www.sense.org.uk/content/training-and-consultancy-service