The Parish Council's responsibilites include:
• Finance - The Parish Council is responsible for the approval and monitoring of Council expenditure, annually analysing future funding requirements and recommends the precept to be raised. Arranging insurance of parish property, loans and donations and other associated activities requiring finance.
• The Tye and Footpaths - As owner of the Tye, - maintenance of theTye (common)*, Public Footpaths and Play Equipment. The Parish Paths Partnership assists with the maintenance of the footpaths within the Parish of Barking.
*The Bye Laws can be viewed by clicking onto the following link - Barking Tye Bye Laws
• Planning - The Parish Council receives and considers consultation copies of all Planning Applications relating to the parish. Recommendations from the Council either in support of the application or as objections, are passed to Mid Suffolk District Council who, as Planning Authority, will make use of these comments in their determination of the application.
• Parish Property - The Parish Council is the owner of the Tye (the common), provides and maintains litter bins, dog waste bins, notice boards, play equipment, benches, street lights, and the defibrillator and the former BT kiosk which it is housed in. The Council is the Custodian Trustee of Barking Village Hall, which is managed by the Barking Village Hall Management Committee.
• Highways and Lighting - The Parish Council oversees highways matters such as the need for road repairs, signposting, street lights and the supply of electricity for street lighting.