Groundwork works towards a vision of a society of sustainable communities which are vibrant, healthy and safe, which respect the local and global environment and where individuals and enterprise prosper. Our work is diverse, but all of it helps to achieve our vision - the environment is the inspiration for our work.
We undertake a broad range of initiatives with local communities and partners on individual projects and longer term programmes of activity in six core sectors; employment and skills; education; young people; communities; business and land improvement.
We are currently working with businesses, SMEs, voluntary organisations, communities, schools, householders and NEETs. We want to encourage all age groups to enjoy the natural world, through healthy activity, green jobs and education initiatives
We have been supporting and advising communities and businesses since 2008. Through the various programmes that we have designed, developed and delivered we have supported over 1,350 SMEs in Suffolk identifying potential cumulative savings of over £7m and 35,000 tonnes CO2e. We aim to ensure organisations are assisted to know their impact, given the knowledge to reduce it, incentivised to take a lead, and finally financially helped to make real progress. We are able to confirm that, on average, 24% of the savings have been realised by the businesses which is over £1.8mn and 9,000 tonnes CO2e – a significant net positive contribution to the local environment.
Current Areas of Work
- Resource efficiency
- Energy management and monitoring
- Renewable energy
- Green procurement
- Water and waste management
- Environmental Management Systems and Legislation Services
- Mitigation, adaptation and long term sustainability
- Funding and finance advice, bid writing
- Telephone and email support line 01473 350370
- Schools energy advice and student education/engagement
- Householder energy tariff advice
- Healthy eating
- Community consultation and engagement
- Trade schools for young people
- Activity and volunteering days (corporate and community)
- Green space improvement – landscape and biodiversity
- Ad-hoc consultancy support
- Staff training