Green Light Trust
Green Light Trust is a well-respected environmental education charity which uses the Power of Nature to transform lives; with woodlands near Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich, at RSPB Minsmere, at RSPB Strumpshaw Fen, and at other project locations around East Anglia.
We provide support to 2000 disadvantaged or marginalised adults and children each year; helping them with their wellbeing, work and life skills, through our woodland and online programmes.
We do this by:
- Inspiring, empowering and supporting people with woodland wellbeing and educational activities
- Enhancing the education, health and wellbeing of individuals and community groups to cope better with the life challenges they face, through using opportunities in the natural environment.
- Engaging people on a mental health or alcohol and substance abuse recovery pathway.
- Improving mental and physical wellbeing, self-esteem, confidence, social and communication skills.
- Offering support to individuals who feel socially anxious or isolated.
- Working with employment and probation services to help people back into work, training or volunteering opportunities.
- Working with schools, colleges, pupil referral units and local authorities to provide alternative education provision for children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEND), EHCPs, behavioural challenges, mental health issues, or other barriers that mean they struggle to cope or progress in mainstream education.
We are also accredited by the Forest School Association, to train teachers and outdoor practitioners at Level 2 or 3 in Forest School, and in addition offer CPD days.
This provider was Quality Assured in 2017 and is now an approved provider by Suffolk County Council's Quality Assurance and Provider Development Team - find out more here.
Who to contact
- Bec Edgar
- Administration Manager
- Social Media
Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Bury St Edmunds
- IP29 4PJ
For Forest School Training enquiries, please contact Lindsay Limmer on our office number 01284 830829 or at: email@example.com
Bury St Edmunds
Where to go
- Green Light Trust
The Foundry and Frithy Wood, Lawshall, Bury St Edmunds. Castan Wood, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich. RSPB Minsmere. RSPB Strumpshaw Fen.
Bury St Edmunds, Ipswich, Saxmundham
- IP29 4PJ
- View IP29 4PJ on a map
- Area served
- Haverhill, Ipswich, Hadleigh, Halesworth, Kessingland, Lakenheath, Ixworth, Kesgrave, Lowestoft, Mid Suffolk, Lavenham, East Suffolk, Leiston, Newmarket, Mildenhall, Needham Market, Beccles, Saxmundham, Brandon, Aldeburgh, Babergh, Oulton Broad, Capel St Mary, Stowmarket, Stradbroke, Clare, Southwold, Bungay, Bury St Edmunds, Elmswell, Eye, Thurston, Debenham, Sudbury, Framlingham, Wickham Market, Woodbridge, Glemsford, Felixstowe, West Suffolk, Waveney
- Venue Email
- Venue Website
- Parking available
- Parking details
- Free parking for up to 20 cars available in main car park at The Foundry, Bury St Edmunds. Free parking at Martlesham Park and Ride for Castan Wood. Free parking at RSPB Minsmere and Strumpshaw Fen.
- Restrictions to access
- Course places are subject to funding eligibility and availability. Wheelchair access to our 'EARTH' woodland courses can depend on the weather - it is not always easy when very wet. Online 'AIR' courses are accessible for everyone who is eligible through a smartphone, tablet, PC or laptop - smartphone and data can be provided should this not be available to anyone wanting to sign up to an online course.
Green Light trust has venues at The Foundry & Frithy Woods, Lawshall, Bury St Edmunds and at Castan Wood, Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, and at RSPB Minsmere in Saxmundham, and RSPB Strumpshaw Fen, in Strumpshaw, near Norwich.
Days & Times
- Office opening hours: Weekdays 9am to 5pm
- Time of day
- Session Information
Day sessions run from 10am to 3pm
EARTH courses: participants will partake in person-centred, holistic activities in the woodlands; getting close to and finding out about the natural environment, conservation and woodland management tasks, free campfire lunch, green woodworking. Online 'AIR courses include nature-inspired interaction and activities, including video footage, plant and species identification, making things to encourage nature using household items.
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type Many of our courses are free to attend - see 'Book a Course' section on website for details Per 5hr session Some of our Alternative Provision and SEND courses require payment Per 5hr session Forest School Training is charged at a competitive rate. Contact our office for details, or check available Forest School Training courses and CPD events on our website
- Cost Details
- Many of our courses are free to attend, with fully funded places for adults and children who fit the funder criteria - details per course on our website. Some of our schools services, Alternative Provision and SEND provision are fee-paying services - payment is usually through local authority, school or Personal Independence Payment.
- Referral required?
- Referral and availability notes
Individuals can self-refer onto our programmes that are advertised on our website, or referrals can be made by a referral organisation.
- Age Groups
- 16-25 years, Children (5-11), Adults, Young people
- Disabled Parking, Adapted Toilet
All activities are person-led and are adapted so that each participant can work at their own pace, doing things that most interest them. One of the major benefits of our programmes is the social interaction that participants are engaged in when they attend one of our groups. This combats feelings of loneliness and isolation.
- Service users involved in planning
Feedback from users feeds into planning of services
- Experience of including people with special educational needs and disabilities
Green Light Trust works with children and adults with learning and physical disabilities in a safe outdoor setting. Green Light Trust staff are from an educational background with extensive experience enabling each participant to be the best they can be through learning and new experiences.
- Connie Barnes
- 01284 830829
Green Light Trust Woodland courses
- Conditions Supported
Autistic spectrum conditions
Mental health conditions
More like this
Sign in to write a review