The Society was formed in January 1986 with the aims of:
- Helping researchers to increase their knowledge of genealogy and assist them in researching their own family history.
- Assisting in the preservation of local history and genealogy records.
- Enabling us all, by sharing knowledge, to further our awareness of what information is available and how to access it.
- A Nationally Registered Charity and member of the Federation of Family History Societies.
- Arrange for speakers and visits to places of genealogical interest.
- Publish local Parish Registers and recording memorial inscriptions of local churchyards.
- Publish our own quarterly magazine, Roots and Branches, and offer an ongoing programme and events of interest to all.
- Allow membership to all including unlimited access to our facilities and expert advice from fellow members.