The National Probation Service is a statutory criminal justice service that supervises high-risk offenders released into the community.
NPS works with the Her Majesty’s Prison and Probation Service.
We’re responsible for:
- preparing pre-sentence reports for courts, to help them select the most appropriate sentence
- managing approved premises for offenders with a residence requirement on their sentence
- assessing offenders in prison to prepare them for release on licence to the community, when they will come under our supervision
- helping all offenders serving sentences in the community to meet the requirements ordered by the courts
- communicating with and prioritising the wellbeing of victims of serious sexual and violent offences, when the offender has received a prison sentence of 12 months or more, or is detained as a mental health patient