Hundon Hedgehogs Pre-School
Historically Hedgehogs (formerly Hundon Tiddlywinks) operated within the main room at the Hundon Village Hall, but excitingly we have now moved into our very own designated area within the hall, and now also offer a fantastic large nature filled outdoor garden. Being situated in quiet Hundon, we have the opportunity to step outdoors and go on fantastic nature walks, visit our very own allotment, and develop and learn through our interaction with the outdoors.
We offer something significantly different from other Pre-Schools in the area, and would welcome you to come and have a look around if you haven’t already.
How are we different? Outdoor learning is at the heart of our curriculum, and we believe outdoor education has an equal value to indoor learning. The natural outdoor environment has unique characteristics and features which are enhanced by nature, and gives children the opportunity to learn in more diverse ways than they would inside. We have therefore created a fun and inspiring outdoor environment, rich in interesting play opportunities, allowing the children the freedom to learn and explore in diverse ways.
Our wonderful outdoor area, rich in nature, offers open-ended activities, using natural and reclaimed resources allowing the children to use their imaginations and creativity. Among many activities on offer are bug hunting in ‘natures corridor’, cooking in the mud-pie kitchen, gardening in our allotment, den building, and for all those who believe in fairies we regularly like to create new homes for our ever growing fairy population.
We believe that when children have consistent outdoor experiences for extended periods of time, they appear happier, healthier, sleep better and become physically more active. Outdoor learning also has a very positive impact on children’s sense of well being, and contributes to all aspects of their holistic development.
“Children are allowed to make their own choices in the activities they’d like to engage in, and are given lots of scope for exploration and expression in an engaging, beautiful and interesting environment. Our aim is to inspire confidence, stimulate curiosity, and nurture a sense of well being through nature. The creative and aesthetic awareness applied to all areas of our Pre-School results in an innovative provision, where staff take children’s ideas seriously, fostering early independence and creativity.” Lisa Arnold, Pre-School Leader.
Our learning ethos can easily be summed up by this wonderful quote by Margaret MacMillan (c1925) “The best kept classrooms and the richest cupboard are roofed only by the sky”.
Hedgehogs has very close ties with Hundon Primary School, and leading up to reception year Hedgehogs children are given the opportunity of visiting the school for a short session each week in order to help them settle in more easily. The curriculum and learning ethos of the pre-school and the school are very closely linked, allowing for great continuity when your child moves onto the next setting.
Who to contact
- Emma Cooper
Hundon Village Hall
- CO10 8EE
01440 786 638
- Charity Commissioning Number
- North Street
- CO10 8EE
- View CO10 8EE on a map
- Parking available
- Parking details
- Parking is available on site as is Disabled parking.
- Restrictions to access
- There are no restrictions to access.
- Nicola Lyons
- 01440 786 638
30 Hours Extended Entitlements
- Registered to provide 30 Hours?
- Last updated
- Immediate vacancies
- Other information
- Hundon Hedgehogs has spaces available.
Days & times
Monday to Friday: 09.00 - 15.00
- Wheelchair access
- Yes - This setting has level access to their premises.
- Cultural provisions
- Yes - This setting complies with all relevant equalities legislation.
- Individual dietary needs
- Yes - We are used to caring for children with food and environmental allergies and have extensive experience to cater for individual requirements.
- Recent experience of supporting children with additional needs
- Yes - We have a member of staff who is a named SENCO.
- Specific additional needs this setting has experience of
Severe dietary needs
Speech and language difficulties
- Table of costs
Table of costs Amount Cost Type £10.00 Per session £20.00 Per day £3.50 Lunch Club - Per day
- Sessions are 3 hours. so a full day is 2 sessions. Lunch is included in a 12.00 - 3.00 session and a full day session.
- Accessible parking, Adventure play area, Allotment, Arts and crafts, Baby facilities, CCTV, Climbing frame, Close to parks, Computer, Enclosed outdoor play area, Equipment for all ages, Garden, Healthy eating, Kitchen, Out-door play, Outdoor play equipment, Pet fish, Playroom, Private changing area, Quiet area, Sensory play equipment, Sleeping area, Slide, Soft play area, Swings, Take children on outings, Vegetable patch, Village walks
- School pickups
- Hundon CP School (Sudbury)
- Further information about pick-ups
- We can collect from the Primary school at 8.50 am and can drop off at the Primary School at 3.10.
- Cater for over 8s
- Age Range
- From 2 Year(s) 0 month(s)
- To 4 Year(s) 11 month(s)
- Age Groups
- Offers Tax Free Childcare
- Ofsted URN
- Link to latest ofsted inspection report
- Inspection history
Inspection History Inspection Date Inspection type Inspection Outcome 02/11/2006 Integrated Good 07/10/2009 Inspection (Early Years Register) Good 14/05/2015 Inspection (Early Years Register) Inadequate 15/10/2015 Re-inspection (Early Years Register) Good 01/05/2019 Inspection (Early Years Register) Good
- Nicola Lyons
- 01440 786 638
- Conditions Supported
Autistic spectrum conditions
More like this
Sign in to write a review