As an animal companionship charity we are aware of the issues that people might have in difficult times. We are providing support for cases that are urgent/critical and we are also continuing to support existing clients and our volunteers (with social distancing precautions)
We are collating some useful resources to help those who are trying to cope with the effects of the corona virus. Whilst we are unable to visit the majority of our clients, we are available online at email@example.com to signpost you to where you might be able to find help or call us on 01284 335 351
Pets are vital companions and help us to cope. They especially help when people are anxious, depressed and afraid. It is important that there is a network of support when the challenge is overwhelming. That is where we can help. We cannot guarantee our support but we want to do what we can; as we appreciate just how important and powerful animal companionship is.
Celebrating and supporting the companionship of animals in our lives. We champion the power of animal companionship and promote, preserve and provide animal companionship support services.
We specialise in the practical and emotional support of the human-animal bond in all circumstances but particularly in the elderly, vulnerable and socially isolated and will point you in the right direction of services or products that are available.
Please feel free to ring or email with any queries or concerns, whatever they are, we would like to try and help.
The benefits of animal companionship on human wellbeing have been proved by countless studies and, for many people, their pet is a vital companion, providing friendship, security and continuity, especially at challenging times. Our Special Friends is a young charity, currently operating in West Suffolk, which aims to support human-animal relationships and to enable them to continue despite changes in circumstance if possible.
- We offer practical and emotional support to enable those facing difficult times to benefit from animal companionship. This includes:
- Dog-walking or accompanied walking via our volunteers or others.
- Advice and practical support via our volunteers to keep a pet living with its owner.
- Regular visits from a volunteer with their own dog.
- Sourcing, introduction and monitoring of a new pet.
- Increasing awareness and understanding of the benefits of the human-animal bond and the impact of loss and bereavement.
We raise awareness of the benefits of the human-animal bond and the impact of loss and bereavement, whether human or pet. We provide advice and support pre-, during and post-bereavement in partnership with other support services as appropriate. Our work includes providing advice and support where appropriate to:
- Encourage advance planning for the care of the animal to give peace of mind.
- Educate professionals and volunteers in the fields of social care, human and animal health about the benefits of supporting human-animal relationships.
- Work collaboratively with existing human and companion animal (pet) organisations and support networks to help both people and animals.