The Befriending Scheme
Framework provider of day, evening and weekend activities for people with learning disabilities and autism
The Befriending Scheme provides friendship and learning opportunities for adults (16yrs+) from vulnerable groups, including those with mental health needs and older people, as well as our existing members with learning disabilities. We also offer various volunteering opportunities.
Our One to One Befriending service is only for those who have a Learning Disability / Autism AND are experiencing feelings on loneliness.
THE ONE TO ONE SERVICE IS OPEN FOR NEW REFERRALS.
We also provide a Telephone Befriending Service - open to referrals from adults experiencing loneliness and isolation regardless of disability.
The Befriending Scheme began life in 1989 as West Suffolk Befriending Scheme. Our core activities are regular drop-in centres, known as Hubs, building meaningful one-to-one friendships between vulnerable people and volunteer befrienders and evening Out and About Groups.
Our regular drop-in centres, known as Hubs, provide a place for our members to learn new skills, have fun and make friends. Hub Groups run at five locations across Suffolk, the range of activities on offer is increasing all the time. Our members try their hands at an ever changing range of activities such as; drama, sports, music, crafts, and enjoy games, cooking and relaxing over tea and biscuits.
Each Hub is run by a TBS Area Coordinator and supported by a team of dedicated volunteers. There are between 8 - 25 members at every Hub aged between 18 and 80!
Our Hubs are located all over Suffolk, so there’s sure to be one nearby.
- Haverhill (OPEN)
- Ipswich (OPEN)
- Lowestoft (OPEN)
- Stowmarket (OPEN)
- Sudbury (OPEN)
We also run a care farm
- Friends Community Farm - Assington (OPEN)
Out & About Groups:
(Our Out & About service gives Hub members a chance to enjoy being part of their community and get to know their local area.)
Sessions are held in the evenings and at weekends, including trips to the cinema and local snooker club, fish and chip suppers, tenpin bowling, swimming and pub quiz nights. We believe everyone should have the opportunity to enjoy these simple activities and gain a sense of social inclusion.
Please visit our website for more details.
or contact The Befriending Scheme Office on: 01787 371333.
Who to contact
- Cat Davison / Claire Gorham
- Social Media
Find us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Where to go
- The Befriending Scheme - Head Office
- CO10 1HN
- View CO10 1HN on a map
- Area served
- All Suffolk
- Venue Website
- Parking details
- Parking available in various free car parks around Sudbury Town, although please note- you must print a free ticket and display in your car at the free car parks
- Restrictions to access
- People aged 16 plus with learning disabilities
Days & Times
- Office open weekdays Monday to Friday 9AM - 5PM
- Time of day
- Session Information
Please see our website for our timetable of activities and groups.
- Cost Details
- This is a scheme for people with learning disabilities, costs of activities vary and there are different membership options. Pre booking is required and all information is on our website. One to One Befriending Service / Telephone Befriending Service is free (although there is a waiting list).
- Referral required?
- Referral and availability notes
To access our hub group services you need to meet our referral criteria. Please see the details of your local hub group for details.
- Age Groups
- 16-25 years, Adults, Young people
- Accreditation details
We are delighted to announce that The Befriending Scheme has been awarded a Bronze Standard Certificate from the Community Learning & Skills Development provider Realise Futures.
- Service users involved in planning
- Experience of including people with special educational needs and disabilities
The Befriending Scheme provides friendship and learning opportunities for people (16yrs+) from vulnerable groups, including those with mental health needs and older people, as well as those with learning disabilities. Please see our website for more details.
- 01787 371333
- Conditions Supported
Autistic spectrum conditions
More like this
Sign in to write a review